Prof. Agostino Dovier
Current detailed program:
Previous programs since 2015/16 differ slightly from the current one.
The main languages and techniques for knowledge representation and reasoning will be presented, focusing in particular on logic languages such as Answer Set Programming, Action Description Languages for planning, and the constraint modeling language Minizinc.
Those languages are commonly used for modeling and solving combinatorial optimization problems, and for programming intelligent systems in a multi-disciplinary context.
The main techniques for constraint-based solution search will be presented and compared. Paradigms will be presented either at a theoretical level or at a practical level, modeling and solving several benchmark problems.
Automated Reasoning is a subfield of ``Intelligent Systems''
Detailed programs of the ancestor course called Constraint Programming & Planning (slides in Italian):
- We mostly use Minizinc for Constraint Programming, and
for Answer Set Programming and SAT solving.
- We also will touch Constraint Logic Programming.
In this case we suggest
Constraint Programming Part
- Handbook of Constraint Programming By Francesca Rossi, Peter van Beek amd Toby Walsh. Elsevier,
2006. (look for free pdf on-line, e.g.
- R. Bartak
On-line guide to constraint Programming.
- Willem-Jan van Hoeve.
The Alldifferent Constraint: A Survey
- Minizinc Tutorial, by Kim Marriott and Peter J. Stuckey.
Logic Programming Part
- J. W. Lloyd.
Foundations of Logic Programming. Springer. 1984
(look for free pdf on-line, e.g.
OLD, but the reference for the basics of the semantics part.
- K.R. Apt.
From Logic Programming to Prolog.
International Series in Computer Science. Prentice Hall,
As LLloyd's book, a classical.
And helps you learning conversion of ps to pdf
- M. Gelfond and Y. Kahl
Knowledge Representation, Reasoning, and the Design of Intelligent Agents
The Answer-Set Programming Approach.
Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- Teaching Answer Set Programming By Univ. of Potsdam team (chaired by Torsten Schaub).
- Answer Set Solving in Practice
by Martin Gebser, Roland Kaminski, Benjamin Kaufmann, and Torsten Schaub
And also this free course
Answer Set Solving in Practice
related to the same material.
- Knowledge representation, reasoning and declarative problem solving.
Cambridge university press, 2003.
- Thomas Eiter and Georg Gottlob.
On the Computational Cost of Disjunctive Logic Programming: Propositional Case.
Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 15(3/4):289-323, 1995.
- A. Dovier, A. Formisano.
Dispense per il corso (in Italian!)
- A. Dovier, A. Formisano, E. Pontelli.
Perspectives on Logic-based Approaches for Reasoning About Actions and Change.
Logic Programming, Knowledge Representation, and Nonmonotonic Reasoning,
Essays Dedicated to Michael Gelfond on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday
M. Balduccini and T.C. Son, eds.,
LNCS 6565, pp. 259-279, (DRAFT), 2011.
- K. Marriott and P. Stuckey.
Programming with Constraints. The MIT Press, 1998.
- K.R. Apt. Principles of
constraint programming.Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- L. Sterling and E. Shapiro. The
Art of Prolog. 2nd ed., The MIT Press 1994,
- Marco Gavanelli Un tool per produrre SLD (NF) trees pronti per il latex da computazioni ECLIPSE.
- Krzysztof R. Apt and Mark Wallace.
Constraint Logic Programming using Eclipse
- Some scientific articles that can be of interest
- T. Fruhwirth and S. Abdennadher.
Essentials of constraint programming. Springer Verlag, 2002.
by K.R. Apt.
Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, Volume B: Formal Models and Semantics.
Pages 493-574, 1990.